Plated Slots in EAGLE

In EAGLE there are many ways to do slots. :sweat_smile:

I have an example of an USB - C port here:

In the picture I have done it with the Milling layer. Note, that you have to do a closed line and not one line, see the following picture:

For the Pad itsef, you combine many parts, as seen the following pictures:

One note: In this picture the polygon on BStop is missing, it is the same for the bottom layer as on TStop (top layer).

The ‘SMD’ will define the outer size.
The inner part is defined by the Milling Layer.

Würth Electronics does it this way:

Source: WR-COM USB 2.0 Type C Receptacle Horizontal SMT | Elektromechanische Bauelemente | Würth Elektronik Produktkatalog (we-online.com)

The problem with the Würth Electronic way is that if the part is placed on e.g. a GND polygon, it will not connect automatically because there is an unnamed pad around the drill with this method.

My last proposal (and the way we used it now in our company):

Slotted holes in EAGLE are a nightmare for everyone, so don’t worry :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you for your post. Its really helpful.
In the last picture Polygon Pour “Cutout” is this in the footprint editor or layout?
I have trouble creating a footprint with Cutouts on the inner layers.

1 Like

This can be done either way in the footprint or layout editor.

Actually, you have two options for realising it:
OPTION1: Place a Polygon on the layer you want a cutout (just the outline), edit its Polygon Pour property to “cutout”
OPTION2: Place just a Line on the layer you want a cutout.

(Either of this options in footprint or layout editor)

Ok thank you. My problem was that in the footprint editor only the top and bot layer where selectable. I used the this command set used_layers all to make the the remaining layer visible. Now your instruction works perfectly.

1 Like

Ah this is a key command! I think this is also a good information for EAGLE users. :smiley:

I didn’t know this command; I have always edited the footprints in a text editor afterwards if needed on 4+ layers. :person_facepalming: