Naming convention for Traditional Gerber files

About this tutorial

AISLER understands many Gerber file dialects. Please refer to Altium, Ultiboard, Labcenter Proteus and Designspark. This tutorial is a catch-all for all other PCB Design tools.

Important:

• Make sure your drill files are exported in 2:4 precision and are set to the unit inches.
  • Please ensure that the board outline layer only contains the board outline

Keep in mind that Soldermask is an inverted mask. So you need to fill where you want to remove the mask.

Step 1: Please name your files like the following:

Layer Name in extension in Gerber
Top Layer project_name.toplayer.ger
Bottom Layer project_name.bottomlayer.ger
Top Soldermask project_name.topsoldermask.ger
Bottom Soldermask project_name.bottomsoldermask.ger
Top Silkscreen project_name.topsilkscreen.ger
Bottom Silkscreen project_name.bottomsilkscreen.ger
Top Paste (Stencil) project_name.toppaste.ger
Bottom Paste (Stencil) project_name.bottompaste.ger
Board Outline project_name.boardoutline.ger
PTH Drills (plated holes drills) project_name.drills_pth.xln
NPTH Holes (non-plated holes drills) project_name.holes_npth.xln
Internal plane 1 project_name.internalplane1.ger
Internal plane 2 project_name.internalplane2.ger
Internal plane 3 project_name.internalplane3.ger
Internal plane 4 project_name.internalplane4.ger

Please note:

In case your EDA-Tool exports multiple files of the same layer, you can also provide them in your zip. Please make sure, that the files have the identical name extension (e.g., *.drills_pth.xln) and we will merge them for you. The project name may differ between files.

Step 2: Zip it up

Step 3: Profit :wink:

Upload your project

Hallo ich habe Gerber Dateien von Easyeda und möchte diese gern fertigen lassen Wie muss ich diese umwandeln?

Hi @Borstel67, welcome to our community. So you would like to know how to manufacture EasyEDA via Gerber files. Please take a look at the instructions above.

Hi,
die mir vorliegenden Gerber-Daten haben bei den Drills das Dateiformat
“xxx.drills_pth.nc” & “xxx.holes_npth.nc”
nicht
“xxx.drills_pt.xln” & “xxx.holes_npth.xln”

Funktioniert das auch oder muss ich hier etwas konvertieren?

Hi @Roman,

Welcome to the community!

The file name ending itself doesn’t define the file format. If your drill files have the correct format (excellon, 2:4 precision) there is no need to convert the files. In this case just change the ending from .nc to .xln and zip’ them up together with your gerber files.

Cheers,
Manuel

When I uploadgerber files for internal planes in 4-layer designs, thermal reliefs and not showning correctly in the visualizer. The gerbers shown the thermal reliefs correctly in all the Gerber viewers I have.

Is this a problem with your visualizer software or is there some problem with uploaded plane layer Gerbers?

1 Like

Same problem here.
Also the planes are not handled correctly copper vs no-copper.

Any solution?

With 4 layer PCB designs, the internal plane layers in traditional gerbers, generated by older Orcad design systems, are negative images of the planes (i.e “tracks” define where copper should be etched away and “white space” defines where copper remains).

However, the Aisler PCB visualiser for 4 layer boards treats these internal layer gerbers as positive images, and so doesn’t handle internal power and ground planes correctly, in terms of copper integrity, thermal relief vias, and gaps between copper fill areas, when mixed voltage planes are used .

One work round is to use layers rather than planes for the internal power and ground, and use copper pours on these to define the copper areas and white space to define where copper needs to be removed.

This will generate gerber files where copper areas, and thermal relief vias are interpreted correctly by the Aisler PCB visualiser and produces PCBs with the required connectivity

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly my problem with Altium. I know that professional tools are treating planes like that.
AISLER told me that this is ONLY a Altium problem and that they can’t help me. I know that several other tools are also using negative definitions (Allegro, Orcad …). So that’s simply not true what Aisler told me there.
It would be honest to say: Sorry, we don’t support Altium “planes” right now. Please use a signal layer instead. But I have the impression they don’t like to help. As I was told it’s not possible in the CAM and my remark that it’s obviouls possible with the Soldermask, the answer was it’s only a Altium problem. Then I asked them to remove the Altium support in total, because it’s very risky if somebody doesn’t recognize this bug in the visualizer. As 20% are Altium orders they don’t want to make this public. Okay wow … that’s at least a statement.

I could make a workaround as you described using signal layers, but I don’t like that for larger quantities.

Long story short: I ordered at WĂĽrth again as I got no feedback from Aisler except this strange Twitter-DM conversation.

Hi @KK1 and @tomc ,
this issue has been solved lately. If your Gerber files include proper X2 headers which mark inverted / negative polarity, we automatically convert them. The Board Inspector should show them in positive polarity as other layers too then.

Cheers,
Patrick

3 Likes

That’s good news, Patrick.

The visualizer software now renders quite complex internal planes correctly.

Is the Aisler software fully Gerber X2 compatible now or still X1 with some “tweaks” to handle the polarity of internal planes?

1 Like

But the visualiser still renders some LAYER TO PLANE VIAS INCORRECTLY !!

So, it would appear that Aisler have implemented an X1 Kluge for traditional gerber plane rendering, rather than providing a fully X2 compatable system …

Hi Tom,

you jost got a mail from me. Let’s further investigate this issue!

Cheers,
Patrick

Hi Patrick, thanks for your message.

I found a way round this issue last Friday!
I will update my last post here to explain, when I get a bit more time, hopefully in the next couple of days

All the best,
Tom C.

The milling layer is missing in the list.
It should be named project_name.milling.ger

Wenn ich gerber daten hochlade, wie bekomme ich die Bauteile in das Projekt um die StĂĽckliste zu erstellen? Welche Datei muss in das zip mit den gerber Daten?
Beim hochladen eines EAGLE brd File wird die Bauteilliste daraus erstellt.

We currently do not support assembly using traditional gerber files.
For more details you can take a look at our compatibility-matrix .